Share a story about how you overcame a learning challenge. Why was it a challenge? What strategies did you use?  Use the language you learned in this unit.

I’m going to share with you a learning challenge occurred last year. It was the first time that I attended the online course in Uvic. In the beginning, I have no idea what I am going to do in each session without the actual class so I lost in the ocean of information and materials. The instructor offers tons of reading materials each week and forum discussion requirements. Since I don’t have the experience of self-learning, it is difficult for me to arrange my own study plan which leads to the delay of learning missions and objectives unaccomplished. The main obstacle is that I could not focus on reading materials and extract the main ideas, so the writing assignments have been procrastinated. I was warned to fail this course in the mid-term, which gives me a heavy strike. I realize that I have to alter my learning habits. The first step is to place an emphasis on understanding the content of materials. I cognitively convince myself to read. According to the Theoretical Perspectives in the way of behavioralists, learners are given reinforcement and feedback to develop their own learning habits, which requires the ability to identify the weakness and strengths in studying. I think this kind of learning design suit the senior students because the learning process is based on prior experience.

Learning is a unique function of the human brain that distinguishes human beings and other animals. I agree that motivation accelerates learning.  As I mentioned before, I barely persis to continue the first online course if there is no pressure of gaining the credits to obtain the degree. The fact is that once I’m prepared cognitively, I will seek help to overcome the obstacles.